Monday 14 July 2014

The Last Post!

You pedal from one end of the country to the other without any mishaps......

It's been 6 weeks since I arrived at John O'Groats, and I still can't seem to wipe the smile off my face!  Every time I see the map of the UK on the TV weather, I'm amazed that I've cycled all that way, and I'm still incredibly proud of what I've done!  I intended to get out on my bike as often as I could once I got back, to try to keep up some of the fitness I worked so hard to achieve.  But life seems to get in the way, and when faced with the choice - Pinot Grigio in the garden or bike ride - guess which wins! I've been in touch with a few of my fellow end-to-enders, and we're planning a reunion weekend next year, but the best bit is the many fantastic memories I have that pop into my head all the time.


Amazing memories!  From the excitement of the start...
...to the satisfaction of nearing the end

When I DO manage to get out on my bike, I've been really enjoying riding just for fun.  Up until yesterday, when Bob and I went for a 30 mile scenic ride through the Eden Vally near Shap.  We came across a ford and it was my decision to ride through it, rather than take the footbridge - after all, it wasn't so deep... It may not have been deep, but it was really slippery, and I fell off into the running water!  Typical!  I've pedalled 3500 miles on that bike, and it takes one little puddle....   The pretty impressive bruises, bent gear levers and shattered pride will eventually be restored.


On a happier note, my Justgiving total raised for the Watchtree Wheelers is an astounding £2630!  Another thing to be immensely proud of.  My donation, along with some more local folk fundraising, means they have reached the £5000 they needed to buy the Cheetah - the recumbent tandem they were aiming towards - and it will be delivered to them on 6th August for their Grand Open Day, when they officially open their newly resurfaced training area and cycle path.  I've been invited to be the first to ride it on the day with Amanda, their other main contributor - special!

The Cheetah!


Equally special for me is that our daughter has also agreed to ride the Cheetah with me!  For those who don't know, she had a serious cycling accident 5 years ago, and hasn't been on a bike since.

Handing over a cheque for all the cash donations I received
So all in all, not half bad for a mid-life crisis!!!  And for those who keep asking what's next - I'm considering taking up knitting....!

A truly memorable mid-life crisis!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Jane, on yet another victory in your amazing mid-life feat! It's been fun sharing it with you via this blog--thank you. Not sure about the knitting, but I've no doubt you'll have many great adventures ahead. Happy riding you to you and Rebecca on August 6th!

    ReplyDelete