Friday 23 May 2014

Day 12. Glencoe to Inverness

Miles cycled - 82
Total ascent - 4400ft
Terrain - pretty hilly with one enormous hill after lunch
Weather - cold and windy with rain all afternoon
Best bit - standing in a hot shower at the end
Worst bit - can't decide - plenty to choose from!
  


Today has been a struggle. We left Glencoe and headed on the A82 to Fort William against a fierce headwind, and battling the lorries and coaches. Not a lot of fun, and more tiring than I expected.

From Fort William, we made our way up a hilly road which paralleled the Caledonian canal. This would have been scenic if it wasn't such hard work against the persistent wind, but it topped out at the brew stop at Spean Bridge at the commando memorial. Again, the view should have been fantastic of Ben Nevis, but we were all more interested in trying to eat and drink and stay warm, to take it all in.





We then had a long stretch on the A82 to Fort Augustus for lunch, and the weather was beginning to turn wet, with the clouds dropping to very low level. Then came the monstrous climb of the day (see below), up a quiet road to the east of Loch Ness, which eventually led into Inverness.

After lunch, I put on my waterproof jacket and long trousers, deciding to leave my waterproof trousers and overshoes in the van. After all, it was only drizzle... However, towards the end of the big hill (it took me an hour to climb it!) it began to rain stair-rods and the temperature plummeted. I got really hot on the climb, then there was a massive long descent to the brew stop, and I ended up frozen!

Leaving Glencoe
I wasn't the only one, and we all put on extra layers and waterproofs at the van in the rain, before setting off for the 20 mile run into Inverness. By now, I was cold, wet and very tired. The road was undulating, but the hills felt like mountains and my legs were like lead. Inverness was a very welcome sight.

It just goes to show what a difference the weather can make, and just how lucky we've been not to have had to deal with this every day. A VERY early night tonight for me!






3 comments:

  1. Jane that's almost painful to read! Tomorrows another day, I hope you get some sunshine.
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hill, starting at mile 50 looks terrifying! Nearly there, me darlin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have had a rough day. The large hill on the graph looks awful. Hang in there - you are doing really well! Yvette x

    ReplyDelete